Traveling for the Holidays? Tips to Keep Your Money Safe
With holiday travel and spring vacations just around the corner, we want to provide you with some safety tips to help you keep your money safe. It’s a good idea to carry VISA TravelMoney® Cards or credit cards, and leave your debit and ATM cards at home. These cards are great traveling companions, but some preparation is needed before you take off:
- Clean out your wallet and only carry a reasonable amount of cash and necessary credit cards. Know the daily dollar limitations on your cards.
- If you are planning to use a credit card, let your provider know when and where you will be traveling to help prevent blocked suspicious transactions, including unexpected out-of-town purchases.
- Carry a back-up card and keep it in a separate place. You will have even better back-up coverage if each person in your group takes a different card.
- Make 2 copies of all the cards you’ll be carrying. Copy both sides and make sure that the customer service phone number is legible. Take one copy with you (in a secure place) and leave the other copy with someone you trust back home. If a card is lost or stolen, report this immediately!
- If you’re traveling overseas, plan ahead. Reliability of ATMs in other countries may be different than in the U.S.
- Before using an ATM, inspect it thoroughly. Fraudsters frequently install scanners and cameras on ATMs to capture card data and PINs. Ensure the card reader does not show any signs of tampering. Pull on it slightly to ensure that it’s a genuine part of the ATM and not a layover. Put your money and card away immediately, count your money later. Do not accept help from a stranger and do not let them touch your card. Extra tip: If you can’t find an ATM and need cash, ask for cash back when you use your debit card for purchases at retail locations.
BLC offers VISA TravelMoney® Cards1 (with no issue fee) for the safety and convenience of our customers. You decide how much to load on the card and choose your own PIN. The cards can be used at any merchant or ATM displaying the Visa logo. If the card is lost or stolen, you are not responsible for unauthorized charges. Visit us to purchase VISA TravelMoney® Cards or for more information.
¹ Third Party Rates may apply.